Fall weather calls for hearty, warm, belly-filling soups and stews. Now that the mornings are crisp, the days are filled with less sun, and there’s a chill in the air, cozying up to a warm bowl of soup or stew while wearing snuggly socks and pajama pants is just what the doctor ordered!! If you’re craving something hearty while still sticking to your diet try my: Healthy Fall Chicken and Dumpling Stew!
- 8-10 Celery Stalks
- 5-7 Carrots
- 42 ounces Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1/2 Teaspoon Chicken Bouillon
- 1/8 Teaspoon Pepper
- 6 Chicken Breasts (We buy the pre-portioned 4 ounce pieces)
- 1 2/3 Cup Bisquick Baking Mix
- 2/3 Cup Skim Milk
- Spray a pan with cooking spray and cook the chicken breasts.
- While chicken is cooking, chop celery and carrots into small pieces.
- Spray bottom of a dutch oven or large pot with cooking spray and sauté vegetables for a few minutes.
- Stir bouillon and pepper into vegetable mix.
- Pour chicken stock into pot and bring to boil.
- Once chicken is done cooking, cut into small pieces.
- Add chicken pieces to pot and reduce to a simmer, uncovered.
- Combine Bisquick and milk in a bowl.
- Drop spoonfuls of biscuit dough into soup and continue to simmer until thickened and reduced by 20-30% and dumplings have puffed.
- Enjoy!!!! (Pro-Tip: We made some flavored rice on the side and added it to the soup for extra carbs.)
For Entire Recipe – Calories: 1,416 Total Carbs: 163.6g Fat: 8.5g Protein: 171.3g