Did you miss us? We missed you!
Eat . Whey . Love is kicking off a new series. Every week (we’ll try really hard) we’re going to be bringing you a supplement that you might never have heard of. And despite its lesser know status, still packs a serious health punch. We’re kicking things off with Spirulina. Honestly, it sounds like a Pokemon (anyone still catching them all?). The Spirulina benefits are strong enough that it’s worth thinking about adding it to your morning power shake instead of spinach.
What is Spirulina?
Well, first of all, Spirulina is one of the world’s first superfoods. It has been around for billions of years (true OG), providing the earth’s original organisms the oxygen needed to survive. Whoaaaaa!
Spirulina is a natural blue-green “algae” (cyanbacteria) powder that is incredibly high in protein and a good source of antioxidants, B-vitamins and other nutrients. When harvested correctly from non-contaminated ponds and bodies of water, it is one of the most potent nutrient sources available.
It is actually considered one of the few plant-based sources of “complete protein,” meaning it contains all essential amino acids your body needs but can’t produce on its own.
Why Should I Be Eating/Drinking This?
Great question! Thought you’d never ask! Allow me to break it down…
- Do you like nutrient dense foods? Of course you do. Spirulina will provide you with protein, Vitamin B1, Iron and Calcium. Along with lower doses of Vitamins B2, B3, A, C, D (Remember how important that D is?) and E. At only about 20 cals per tablespoon, I would call that a win.
- Do you like suffering from Leaky Gut Syndrome?… (We will address healthy guts in a later post). I’ll answer for you .. No! No you do not! Having a healthy microflora balance in our body will allow us to be better suited to combat potential sickness and disease. Spirulina benefits have been shown to promote the growth of healthy bacterial flora in the intestines.
- Do you like Cancer? Fck Cancer! This article will give you all the specifics! I will highlight two main points. 1) Spirulina contains high levels of GLA (γ-Linolenic acid) which reduce the expression of cancer cells while destroying them. Additionally, Spirulina is also full of phytochemicals, which are known for their ability to stop cancer cells from spreading. 2) Reduces inflammation. Inflammation plays a big part in the development of cancer. It makes cells extremely vulnerable so that genes are easily altered. Spirulina for the win!!!
- Do you like high blood pressure and high (bad) cholesterol? That’s right, you don’t! A study in people with high cholesterol found that 1 gram of spirulina per day lowered triglycerides by 16.3% and LDL by 10.1%. Studies have also shown that supplementing with 4.5 grams daily was able to reduce blood pressure in individuals with normal blood pressure.
- Do you like Gains? Obvi! Exercise-induced oxidative damage is a major contributor to muscle fatigue. If you become fatigue, your muscle don’t work efficiently, if you don’t work efficiently that means lost gains. Spirulina has antioxidant properties that can help athletes and physically active individuals minimize this damage.
The more you know, right? Hopefully you’re all loading up your Amazon shopping carts with Spirulina. If you do start having some and it was because of this article, share your stories with us. Let us know how you’re having it and what you’re feeling.
Take care everyone!!